Monday, April 19, 2010

The portfolio book

As graduation is approaching faster and faster, the importance of certain things when it comes to photography are really starting to seem more and more relevant. Thinking about taxes... like real taxes, not just paying for the little bit that wasn't taken out of my paycheck from Maggie Moo's, and car payments (although my car does not exist yet, these will start)... but honestly all of this is to deal with starting Monday, May 24, 2010. Before graduation, one major thing I have to think about for starting off my career is having a good book. The portfolio book gets sent to people you hope might hire you, or that your agent (if you have one) sends out for you to get work. Along with a good book, you now need your website, and some photographers, agents/reps, etc don't even accept or care to look at your books anymore and just go straight to your website. And although this is a fact, you still need that hard copy, beautiful portfolio book. There is something special about being able to flip through a portfolio, touching the pages with your fingers (which one day will ruin those prints...), seeing the ink (if digital print) lye on top of the paper, whether glossy, matte, pearl, whatever, there's a feeling that you get when you look at somebodies book that you do not get when looking at the computer screen. Another thing you have to think about, how will this portfolio book fit with your work? how will it relate to you? how will it show whoever is looking at it, that its unique because you're unique. Most photographers opt. for a black book, which is beautiful, it really is, and I know that half of my graduating class will go towards having a black book. But a black cover i don't feel is me. My images aren't the brightest in colors always, but they aren't mute either, so I wanted a color that I felt represents me and my work. I chose brown, to be exact its called "Chestnut Destiny" (chestnut brown), and its a fake leather just to save some money, but looks just like it. There are many portfolio companies, but I chose to go with a company called Brewer from New York city, because I heard amazing things about them, and from their website I loved the work that they produced. It was a big purchase, but I'm super excited to recieve it!!! (2 weeks!!!!) In my mind I think once I receive it I'll feel like a real photographer... here is a swatch of my brewer book color

No comments:

Post a Comment