Monday, October 18, 2010

Titles

So I'm sitting on my lunch break and really thinking about something that has been bothering me a lot lately (that I also mentioned a few posts ago), is the idea of what am I aloud to title/call/label myself as?! Up to just a few months ago I was a photo student at RIT, and with the thought of someday calling myself a "photographer" this satisfyed/pleased me, but now that school is done am I said photographer yet? I am shooting but not for any cause, magazine, etc. I have a job as a retoucher, and this girl I work with is constantly calling herself photographer when she doesn't even own a cell phone with camera capabilities... That just seems wrong to me. She argues that the whole process is the photography, where I argue that the whole process is to lead to the solution of the final image. But honestly Im not even comfortable calling myself a retoucher, even though I soend 9 hours a day in front of the computer touching up whatever is thrown at me. Perhaps this is just an undeveloped thought and I'm just way impatient?! But hey, just a thought... Also it's so annoying when you can hear other people chewing, really destroys my appetite

1 comment:

  1. I've always had difficulty with titles/labels. Sometimes I want to call myself something but I'm not quite there yet and at the same time I do a whole bunch of other things. Labels are for canned food!

    ReplyDelete